Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mwisho wa safari... The journey is over (for now)


Guess this will be the last blog of my journey… I’m not sure of where I left off or what details I’ve forgotten, but I guess that isn’t as important as knowing how this story ends. I don’t need to remind myself because a newfound conscious inside of me is a constant reminder: What have I take away from this? Who were the people that I met along the way? What did we accomplish? What still needs to be attained? What aspects of this newly discovered and developing life will I bring home? Who will listen to my words when I relay that they come from Tanzania? Why does this have experience have to end? Does it end? (If you read on, you will not find the answers to these questions. I’m still looking for them…)
I know… You’re reading this and thinking that I’m getting pretty soft. If you know me though, you’ll agree that I was a softy before and always have been. Maybe these questions, perhaps, are brewing from a person whose values are becoming as hard as the rusty clay that paves the streets of Iringa. Maybe those streets know more of value than I.
Everyone keeps asking, “Are you ready to come home? Are you excited about coming back?” Of course I am! I miss Kerri, my mother, my friends, and my dog. I miss reliable water (especially the hot kind) and the comfort of my own bed. However, I’m still not confident that I’ve taken in what Africa needs to show me. Every moment I’m here I graced with the love, joy and wisdom from friends I’ve made. They have taught me so much, but it's clear that I have much more to learn.
Last night, Ally told us a story. (Normally his stories take all night, but he made an exception to this one.) In reminiscing to him about the first time we met, he explained that we didn’t know the whole story. If you remember from the beginning of my story, Shaina had her $400 IPod Touch stolen while in Dar Es Salaam. When we got on our bus to Iringa, Ally got off at the first stop to get us some bottled water. We were a bit nervous because the bus was pulling away and Ally was not on with us. When he got back on at the next stop, a distance from where we last saw him, he said that he had to see a friend. His friend must have given him a ride to the next stop. That’s the story that we knew and didn’t ask any more questions. When Ally, reluctantly, was retelling the story last night he explained his whereabouts. Ally had seen the tears in Shaina’s eyes and felt for her. (Remember we haven’t know this man for more than twelve hours.) He ran back the area that Shaina was pick-pocketed and asked a shoe shiner for information about the stolen device. He gave the man 1000t/sh and the man said that if he told Ally who the culprit was it would put him in danger. The shoe shiner did direct him to an alleyway where criminals go to immediately hock the goods that they just stole. Alley went to the hangout and bribed another group of individuals for information on the IPod. They said that they would get the IPod back in one day’s time. Unfortunately the bus had already moved on and time was something that we did not have. Ally gave his phone number and offered a reward of 10,000t/sh (a lot for street thugs) if returned. Ally ran all the way to our next bus stop, bought two waters, and acted as if nothing had happened. Unfortunately we never got the IPod back, put I ask you this… Risking missing a bus or not, how many friends would do that for you? How many of you would do such a thing for a friend? If your friend did do such a kind thing, would you hear about it? Maybe altruism isn’t just an ideal… maybe it does exist in mankind. Maybe it’s exclusive to places where people haven’t lost sight of what’s truly valuable in this world, or perhaps it’s unfortunately just not as present in our American culture. It’s another small (meaning not small at all) lesson that I will take back with me.
In the past few days I went camping on the Ruaha River and walked the 20km back to Iringa Town alone. The food at Riverside was first class. The accommodations (including a hot shower) were more than I could have asked for. The views were majestic, especially the sunset and sunrise by the waterfalls. The conversations with fellow travelers were wonderful. But it was the time that I sat meditating that surpassed all else. I always forget how content I am simply reading a good book (something I'm embarrassed to say I seldom do). It gave me time to reflect on my time here. I had thought about staying another night, but I had this strong desire to go back in town so to collect and organize my pictures of Tanzania and spend more time with my friends. I went home and immediately began working on a slideshow of my trip. I’m not nearly done yet, which is why I must say for the last time, “Goodbye Rafikis!” I’ll see you back in the US. Hopefully, I’ll be done with my picture collection by then…

And to you Africa, you've captured my heart and filled it up with an unexplainable peace. I love you Africa and will see you again! Next time I promise to bring you stories of how I've done my part to change myself for the better. I hope I've changed a piece of you.

Thanks you all for following along!
Don't forget to read Shaina's blog at http://sbuckles30.wordpress.com

3 comments:

  1. THis has been an amazing blog and I have really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing you in August! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blogs are really inspirational and should make everyone think deeply. The cultural differences are amazing and I appreciate you spending the time to allow us to take a wonderful journey with you. I can't wait to see you!
    Love you,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,

    Thanks for taking the time to write your posts. It all sounds so amazing, it makes me want to hop on a plane for Africa. You/we need to find ways to really spread what you experienced and learned on this trip.

    By the way, we made Ugali a second time and shallow fried it in Safflower Oil. The camp kids really enjoyed it cooked that way, too!

    See you soon,
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete