Friday, July 3, 2009

Jambo Rafikis!


The newest on the luggage is that 5 out of the 6 bags "may" have made it to Iringa. Fingers (and toes) are crossed. Last night we ventured out and met some locals at a few nearby establishments. We even stopped in for a bit to listen to a musician perform at the Lutheran church. Beautiful music! (although we didn't understand a sing word) We retired early and I was fortunate to be greeted in my room by a spider the size of my hand (slight exaggeration...)
When we woke up this morning at 5:30 (thanks again roosters!), we made made our way back into town and had the most amazing breakfast: omelet, sliced beef, bread, fresh tomatoes, and the best coffee ever (no brown water this time!). I was stuffed for the low price of 3,500 shillings (about $2.50). We walked the town for hours and made it back to our room just in time to find out that my room was rented for the night. I packed up right away. Where am I staying tonight? Your guess is as good as mine. In Tanzania, details like that just aren't that important. I'll find out when I need to.
We headed to Kitchingari to continue our work on the program. It's coming along fabulous! Lookout Tanzanian heads of schools! The highlight of the day, and the trip in fact, was being able to have a connection via Skye with my girlfriend, Kerri (I miss you!). The connection was great and it allowed me to see my puppy for the first time in a while (I miss you too Hurley!) It looks as though we're headed out for some more food, probably more ugahli (a corn "substance" similar to grits. Pretty tasty when you cover it in pepper sauce, yum! Hope everyone is doing well back in the U.S. This will be the first year I'll miss fireworks for the 4th of July. We'll have to think of something here...

3 comments:

  1. The 4th of July will not be the same without you! Good luck with the luggage and with a place to sleep! Be safe and I hope you all have fun tonight! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. I miss you!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habari yako? Again with the no luggage?! I am so stoked that you're in Tanzania. I miss you though. I can't wait to hear more about your trip. That would be so awesome to go shopping there. I hope you have your camera! Keep drinking coffee so you don't miss any more giraffes and impalas! Ninakupenda!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe and good luck! Sounds like you're having quite the adventure. I hope your bags have arrived by now. I'll try to make it to the webcast to see you all :)

    ReplyDelete